Essential Management Skills Using IT
The program as a whole aims to provide with best practices and innovative learning for effective management skills development with the use of application of information tools and techniques as an enabler.
At the end of the program the participants are expected to:
- gain understanding on the various management issues confronting the modern managers. Management techniques coupled with IT tools will be discussed to develop insights into the subject and help to build necessary skills to deal with them
- acquire relevant knowledge on best practices for developing effective management skills
- enhance knowledge in communication skills and team building
- integrate proven strategies for different management skills in oil and gas industries
- learn how to effectively use information technology, especially financial tools to meet the challenges in project evaluation
- construct a plan for developing strategies for human resource management
- develop insights into the different aspects of PPP
- plan for working in team and build up leadership abilities
- sharpen their learning on effective communication
- enhance the skills and learning on environmental issues and challenges in oil and gas industries and work out in resolving the key issues in environmental management Practical applications of productivity tools will improve their existing skills to meet the current and future need/challenges of office management.
The course combines classroom theory lectures, computer hands on sessions, field visits to the relevant organizations and interaction with resource persons. All sessions will have focus on participative discussions geared towards enhancing participants’ technical and practical knowledge on technical and developmental issues.
One of our approaches will center on face-to-face discussion between the resource persons in the theory classes and laboratory sessions on the set contents (curriculum) outlined below. Elements of experiential learning will be imparted where the participants construct knowledge, skill and value from direct experience. Case studies will be used to develop a consistent conceptual understanding of critical content through prototype situations.
A second approach will be hands on sessions where the participants will practice on the use of IT for developing essential management skills. The participants will be guided throughout the session and will have enough practice session to build confidence in applying the skills.
The third approach will be based on study visits to relevant organization so as to gain practical understanding on the diagnosis and appropriate responsive actions. Diagnosis will help in tracing out the differences in the current practices and the desired state. Appropriate responsive actions will allow in reducing the differences between the existing and desired practices. They will often be called upon to further interact through discussions, face to face contact with counterparts, review the situation with the experts in integration sessions to account for an effective learning. Such a participatory approach is believed to achieve a more clarified and consolidated outcome of the course.
The program comprises classroom lectures, discussions, case studies, practical computer sessions, field visits, interaction with professionals and sharing of experiences.
Module 1: Team building, interpersonal skills and leadership
- Best practices in project team building, itnerpersonal skills development, and leadership with case studies
Module 2: Effective Busines Communications
- Effective Oral Presentation Skills
- Skills in effective written correspondence both manual and with IT
- Tools for Preparing Presentation
Module 3: Developing Strategic Plans
- Overview of Strategic Planning
- Strategic Planning Establishing strategic direction (mission, vision, values), establishing goals and objectives and identifying strategies
- Project/Program Planning
- Defining program/project results, the LFA as a planning tool, constructing a logframe based on LFA, setting performance/results indicators
- Finalizing the Strategic Plan
- Developing the strategic implementation plan and the strategic plan document, planning the management framework
- Action Planning
Module 4: Office Management Skills
- Tools and techniques for using application software for business transactions and reporting day-to-day
- Handling data and information
Module 5: Financial Analysis using IT
- Time value of money, capital budgeting techniques, hands on computer sessions
Module 6: Public-Private Partnership (PPP) in Infrastructure Development
- Introduction to PPP
- PPP Structure and models
- Issues in PPP development
- Policy and Finance
Module 7: Study Visit to relevant organizations in Thailand
The participants are not required to be IT professionals or experts in IT. IT will be applied as an enabler in different modules.
Asian Institute of Technology, Klong Luang, Pathum Thani, Thailand
Training Fee per participant is USD 2,500 (US Dollar two thousand five hundred) per participant
- The total training fee does not cover the expenses for international travel, daily subsistence allowance, accommodation, visa fees, and airport taxes. Client organizations will bear the above costs.
- Major medical treatment, health insurance and travel insurance are not covered in the course fee. Participants must secure their entry visa for Thailand, along with their medical and travel insurances.
- The training fee includes the training, course materials, books or periodicals relevant for the class, study visit to local host organizations, pick up and transfer from Suvannabhummi International Airport Bangkok and AIT.