This course description is indicative, and only for reference purposes. The course is not scheduled unless advertised in our calendar. If you are interested in this course, or require a customized course that is similar to this, please note that fees start from USD 25,000 for a two-week course. This fee is for a customized course for ten or fewer participants. For additional participants, the fee is USD 2500 per participant.
For these fees, the client may customize the course to the precise needs of the client's organization. Scheduling will be in consultation with the client.
Participants:Project economists and socio-economists, project managers, environment officer, EIA practitioners and reviewers, government staffs in executing agencies.
The program aims to enhance participants’ knowledge to assess the impacts of projects on natural resources and environment and to incorporate environmental costs and benefits in project economic analysis. The course focuses on theoretical concepts of environmental economics, environmental impact data for economic evaluation, applying valuation concepts and methods in project appraisal and incorporating valuation results in project economic analysis.
Contents for Training Program
The training program covers two aspects: class room based and field visit. The class room based study will be composed of class lectures, case studies/workshop, hands-on session and class discussion. Appropriate computer applications will be used to demonstrate financial and economic analysis.
Study/field visit will enhance the practical experiences in economic evaluation of environmental impact in various related project sites. The course is divided into the following modules:
Module 1: Overview on Environmental Economics
- Relationship between economic activities and environmental impacts
- Impacts to be considered in environmental evaluation
- Valuing of environmental impacts
Module 2: Environmental Impact Data for Economic Evaluation
- Impact identification and screening
- Concepts in economic evaluation
- Primary and secondary valuation methods
- Advantages and disadvantages
- Rapid appraisal method
- Alternative monetization and assessment strategies
- Uncertainty analysis; issues in delivering economic values
Module 3: Applying valuation Concepts and Methods in Project Appraisal
- Case study on the evaluation of environmental impacts for various kinds of projects on energy and industrial projects, projects, agricultural projects and water supply, treatment and sanitation projects
Module 4: Incorporating Valuation Results in Project Economic Analysis
- Review of assumptions and valued costs and benefits
- Calculation of benefit and cost stream over time
- Comparison of costs and benefits using standard investment criteria
- Risk and sensitivity analysis
- Incorporation of non-monetized environmental costs and benefits in economic analysis
Module 5: Case Workshop and Study Visits
- Case Workshop on PES (Payment for Ecosystems)
- Participants will have the opportunity to observe on how to ensure in decision making in economic evaluation of environmental impact. They will have a better understanding of application of appraisal techniques and interpretation of results from related project sites in Thailand.
Note: The modules and field visits can be modified on the basis of client’s needs and also on the availability of the host institutions.